Sunday, November 17, 2019

Poppy

I went to a fun writers group today.  I’m trying to find my way to working on and completing my book.  One of the prompts was a combination of a character feeling envious of other characters and wanting to create distance with those other characters.  Here is what flowed out of that ~ the moderator said it would be a cute children’s book so I decided to share.
The new puppy “Poppy” was so excited being welcomed into his new home.  The man kept smiling and talking sweetly to him.  He thought this must be my lucky day! πŸ€ The man gave him a soft little bed, treats and toys.  He took him for walks and cuddled him a lot.  The other two dogs in the house were really big.  They looked alike and acted alike.  When Poppy got all of the attention, the two big dogs made a lot of noise, blocked off in another room.  Poppy wondered what they were saying.  Most days, the man was gone for a long time.  Poppy felt alone, especially as he watched the two dogs in the other room.  They tugged at toys together and laid close to each other for naps. He wondered, why can’t I be in there with them?  He kept going to the gate to try to smell them but they didn’t bother.  Maybe they would jump on me because they’re so big he thought, but I kind of want to play with them.  Day after long day, Poppy stopped going to the gate.  He just waited, knowing the man would come back and all would be well again!  One day, the man took all three πŸ• πŸ• 🐢 dogs for a walk together.  Poppy was so happy but he kind of kept getting stepped on by the two.  One even peed on him!!!  (That’s from real life ~ our dog Maverick always peed on Benjamin on walks). That’s it, he thought.  They might be bigger than me, older than me, and even might like each other more than me, but I just want to be with the πŸ‘¨πŸ» man.  If they get in my way, I’ll just move over.  One day, I might even bite one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment