Sunday, November 29, 2009

Still holding tight to my rosary

I would like to share an idea I had a few months ago about praying the rosary. My daughter and her best friend were getting ready to start their first year in college. They have been best friends for several years and inseperable. My daughter would attend a local university, but Amber would be 5 hours away at her college. I trusted that things would work out fine but wanted a little assurance. I thought of asking each of them along with both of my daughter's friend's parents to pray the rosary for a month with me for the girl's futures (in school and in Christ). That made 5 people praying for the month: me, Dana, Amber, Laurie & Tom. The idea was for each of us, as we prayed our rosary each day, to pray one decade for one of the people and their intentions. That way, we would all be praying for four other people, their intentions and our own each day. It turned out to be such a blessing for me and I'm told it was for them too. It helped me to not skip a day which sometimes happens and to focus on others very intently and their needs. As I meditated on a mystery and knew it was, for example, for Dana, I could relate it to her life and offer special intentions that were personal and I know, very powerful. That month united us in a special way. At the end of the month, my hope was for us to attend mass together and go to lunch to discuss how God worked. Very busy lives and sicknesses got in the way of that plan, but my hope is that this little prayer partner idea will materialize to that level next time or for others. Also, since I mentioned this to others, they said they would like to be included in the next month's rosaries. If we invite 4 others to join us for a month, the plan could keep growing. THE ONLY THING I ASKED IS THAT WE REMEMBER TO PRAY TO END ABORTION. Of course, we prayed for conversions, the sick, the souls in purgatory, the homeless and unemployed, to end addictions, abuse, etc.
I think that this little idea that God put in mind for me is a good way to unify our prayers, show the power of the rosary, and give us something to hold on to. The rosary remains a very powerful tool that I hold tightly to every day, knowing it is a lifeline to hope, healing, and many blessings from God!
By the way, Dana and Amber are growing into their new environments but staying as close as ever. They are meeting new people and hopefully learning a lot as freshmen. Keep them in your prayers and ALL students. So many college students experience negative peer pressure and depression, they could use our prayers as well as even the little ones experiencing separation at preschool. We are ONE BODY IN CHRIST, so we pray always for each other!

1 comment:

  1. Very lovely, Sharon! Thank you for sharing your tremendous faith and trust in God, whose love for us is unfathomable, real, and uncontainable. God is at work in you. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete