Thursday, November 12, 2009

Another day to save lives and souls

I SAW A TRUCK TODAY


First I heard the beeps; I turned my head and noticed a large white truck backing up into the parking lot. My attention was drawn to the maneuvering of the truck into the gates it was trying to fit between. Then I looked at the name on the truck and FROZE. You see, I was in front of the abortion clinic. My daughter, her friend and I had been there for several hours sidewalk counseling. We had been standing at a site that was the last line of defense for what I would estimate to be about 25 unborn babies. We were about to leave for the day when that truck pulled in. This truck broke my heart. It was from a medical waste company which was there to pick up the unwanted CHILDREN! I cannot express the despair I felt. I knew what was going on in there. I knew the different types of procedures used and how the children could feel the pain. I knew that there is even a market for body parts and tissues obtained from LEGALIZED abortions. My heart took over all information, and the only remaining feeling was one of complete despair. I went to my knees and quietly moaned, “no, no, no.” Then, again quietly, “My, Jesus, mercy!’
Sidewalk counseling is simply a presence in front of the abortion clinics in order to get an opportunity to speak to the woman for a moment. It is the hope of an opportunity to give hope to a woman who has none. It is an opportunity to save a baby from the horror of abortion and the child’s mother from psychological pain. These women drove in that site with a God given blessing of new life within them, and drove back out. I don’t think they were capable of thinking about how that child would be disposed of, or even for a moment, fathom the horror. The horror that the child endured, the horror of the disposal site, the horror they would probably endure for their entire lives. This is the horror I felt when I saw the truck.
I cannot stop abortion or be any more effective at sidewalk counseling. I can continue to try though, and it all begins and ends with God, just as each person’s life does. I turn to God and pray for the end of abortion and a renewal of the respect for human dignity at all stage

* I wrote this back in the Summer after sidewalk counseling one day. I just thought it would be a good thing to share here.
* I read years ago that St. Faustina would ask our Lord for huge favors. He could not deny her because they were always for the benefit of others and He loved that she knew how big her prayers could be. I always remember this when I am offering a somewhat unpleasant task. I used to do gardening for a friend at her dog kennel in order to help pay for my precious dog CUDDLES' boarding. There were many long hours pulling weeds. So I asked Jesus to save a soul for each weed I picked. It felt great to know that even little things like this could help others and help my relationship with God grow stronger. Well, here I am, many years later with an unused treadmill convicting me to finally get started exercising again. Year after year, I would get started only to stop the routine. The other day I had the idea to ask God to save a baby from abortion with every step I take. My first day was only a few minutes, but it is increasing. As I walk, I think of more things to ask for - release a soul from purgatory with each step, one healing, one conversion, one job, one home for a homeless person... the possibilities are endless and I BELIEVE these prayers are being answered! I couldn't ever seem, for some reason, to exercise for my own good, but now I have a new found purpose. TRY IT - WE CAN TAKE STEPS FOR LIFE!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post, Sharon. The truth is always worth telling and yes, abortion is a horrible crime against humanity. Abortion affects us all and we will all be held accountable for our efforts to protect the unborn and love in the name of our beloved Jesus. Each of us is free to choose, but what God asks of us is very clear. "Thou shalt not kill," and "Love thy neighbor as thy self."

    God is at work in you!

    ReplyDelete